The Sixth Annual
World Sight Day Campaign
Of the 39 million blind people worldwide, 90% of them live in the poorest areas of developing countries. Yet 80% of the world's blind people could see again if they had access to adequate eye care services. To advocate for the prevention of global blindness and the Vision 2020 goals, the World Health Organization and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness created World Sight Day (WSD), an annual day of awareness that brings international attention to the issues of blindness and visual impairment.
THE GIVING OPPORTUNITY
Through our Sixth Annual World Sight Day campaign, Seva Foundation and Focusing Philanthropy will enable 7,500 people who are blind because of cataract and trachoma trichiasis to see again, by funding eye operations at an average cost of $50 per surgery in 12 countries across 19 partner organizations. These surgeries are provided free of charge to needy patients.
After great success last year, a significant feature of this year’s campaign is again the emphasis on pediatric eye care. Five hundred children will be supported.
Additionally, the campaign will support vital sight-saving equipment needs for five countries: Nepal, Cambodia, China/Tibet, Myanmar, and the U.S. This equipment will enable more services to be delivered to patients in need, such as cataract surgeries, comprehensive eye examinations, refraction, and detection of other conditions like glaucoma or diabetic retinopathy.
In support of this goal Focusing Philanthropy will match donations from Seva Foundation supporters 1:1 up to $250,000, for a combined fundraising goal of $500,000. The outcome of the fundraising campaign will be announced in a final report. All donations for our joint WSD campaign, including Focusing Philanthropy's matching funds, will be disbursed by Focusing Philanthropy to Seva Foundation to implement the campaign.
To donate to this campaign please click the appropriate link below to make your gift or pledge.
In conjunction with World Sight Day, Focusing Philanthropy and Seva Foundation have implemented fundraising campaigns and sight saving and restoring projects in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Over the course of this partnership, a total of $1,732,500 in matching grants has been raised, resulting in 28,000 surgeries performed! A successful campaign this year will bring the total amount of funds raised during the six-year partnership to over $2 million.
- In 2012: The Focusing Philanthropy/Seva Foundation WSD matching campaign raised $181,000 and funded a WSD cataract surgery campaign that resulted in 4,208 operations in six countries.
- In 2013: The campaign raised $200,000 to fund the construction, equipping and bringing into operation of an eye hospital and a primary eye care clinic in eastern Nepal.
- In 2014: The campaign supported 7,322 cataract surgeries in 11 countries across 16 partners with $330,000 in raised matching funds.
- In 2015: The campaign supported 8,088 cataract surgeries in 13 countries across 20 partners with $511,557 in raised matching funds. The campaign also allowed for the purchase of $130,000 in critical ophthalmic equipment and surgical supplies.
- In 2016: The campaign raised $500,454 in matching funds to support 8,215 cataract surgeries in 12 countries across 23 partners and the purchase of vital equipment.