Teenagers are required to navigate difficult decisions on a daily basis, many of which pose serious consequences to their health and well-being. The CDC reported in its 2013 Youth Risk Behavior Survey that, among high school students in the United States:
- 1 in 5 teenagers binge drinks
- 1 in 4 consistently feels sad or hopeless
- 1 in 6 has seriously considered attempting suicide
- 2 in 5 sexually-active teens did not use a condom the last time they had sex
ABOUT PEER HEALTH EXCHANGE
Peer Health Exchange’s mission is to empower young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources they need to make healthy decisions. PHE does this by training college students to teach a skills-based health curriculum in public high schools that lack health education. PHE and their partners, will advance health equity and improve health outcomes for young people.
Since 2003, PHE has trained more than 8,500 college student volunteers to deliver health education to over 100,000 public high school students in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington, D.C.
Together, Peer Health Exchange and Focusing Philanthropy are launching 2:1 matching campaign, where in Focusing Philanthropy will add a $1 for every $2 contributed by Peer Health Supporters for a combined goal of $300,000! To qualify gifts must be made through Focusing Philanthropy between January - June 30, 2017.
With Focusing Philanthropy’s support, PHE seeks to grow its student reach from 17,000 students in 2015 to approximately 25,000 teens in 2020, all while maintaining their existing high efficiency and low cost per student.
- In partnership with communities, train 1,550 college volunteers to reach argeted high school students with a high-impact program in 2016-2017
- Increase high school students’ ability to make healthy decisions by influencing their health knowledge, skills, attitudes and intentions
- Build a life-long commitment to public service among PHE college student volunteers
- Sustainably maintain or grow reach in current sites
- Grow to three new sites starting in FY19
- Maintain a low cost per student throughout growth